LIFE IS ART


Thursday, May 29, 2014

"You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs."

I just returned from a Memorial Day sojourn to the sprawling metropolis of Parkersburg/Vienna, WV — Belpre/Marietta, OH (don't ask). To put the ambiance into a context with which you can relate, think of the moody West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania site shots used in Silence of the Lambs (which incidentally is one my favorite movies of all time - yes, I scare even myself) and combine that with the Silver Bridge failure over the Ohio River featured in The Mothman Prophecies and you get my drift.

But, even the most dire of places can offer a few gems. Marietta, Ohio, the first settlement in the Northwest Territories (1788) has some charming, if somewhat abandoned, architecture. There are also a smattering of fun antique, "art" and furniture shops to explore, not to mention the wonderful stay at the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg. 

Beautiful Belpre, Ohio.
We found this primitive back-painted window salvaged from an old country church at Found in Harmon Village. I LOVE this little lamb... and it ISN'T screaming! It almost followed me home.
Uhhh... I think this is where design goes to die.
and the piece de resistance... I just don't have the words to describe how this makes me feel. 
Oh and the turncock switches the light on!
No home decor is complete without one of these. I had to sneak this shot at a graduation party.

No comments:

Post a Comment